Tuesday, February 22, 2005

It's Good To Be the King

I don't know about you, but I have been losing sleep at night worried! I have been biting my nails and pulling out my hair over the outcome of the Prince of Wales' relationship with Camilla Parker-Bowles! I am glad that the media is finally getting past their tasteless obsession with the Michael Jackson trial and moving on to news that really affects our lives and the future of nations!

Okay seriously, I do not think I could ever summon a quantum of the anxiety that the network morning show hosts seem to display. (With the exception of Lester Holt whom I watched about a week ago. Mr. Holt couldn't have appeared less interested. I applaud you, sir!) Why is it that we in America give such attention to the British royals? What about King Harald of Norway or the Grand Dukes of Luxembourg? We just do not hear enough about them. Surely we who are so concerned with equal time ought to be giving a little attention to these other nobles. There is no reason to limit our "royal watching" to Europe either; King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand has been king since 1946. Furthermore, he was born in the United States so we certainly have something in common with His Majesty.

Perhaps I should give this royal affair greater attention. Even if it does not directly influence our culture it certainly seems to reflect it. Also, there are also some rather intricate and puzzling little problems that can set one's mind to pondering for quite some time. For instance, if Charles' marriage is not completely legitimate according to the teaching of the Church of England (because, as I am told, Camilla is divorced) then how can Charles become the Supreme Governor of the Church of England (which, as I am told, is sort of a perk that goes with being king)? It is good to be the king, but it certainly does create headaches for all of us commoners, eh wot?

I suppose I should attempt to decipher the spiritual and cultural implications of this most newsworthy development coming out of Buckingham Palace. However, I think these two images and their rather coincidental juxtaposition on the MSNBC website speak volumes:

First, there was this rather typical scene of the Duke and soon-to-be-Duchess of Cornwall which served as a banner to the article titled Now You Ask Me? . . . .



Then, just next to that image, was a most serendipitous image that served as a link to an article about the Supreme Governor of another prominent religious organisation. . . .

Probably the best comment I have heard on the whole matter.

No comments: